International English Language Testing System
IELTS is a test that evaluates your level of proficiency at the English language. It is generally taken by prospective students who plan to study abroad in countries that predominantly speak English. It is also a mandatory part of the immigration process for certain countries such as Canada and Australia.
The IELTS is
generally divided into 2 types: Academic and General Tests.
1. The IELTS academic is specially made for students who intend to take up an under graduation or post-graduation program in any English speaking nation.
2. The IELTS general is taken by potential immigrants who aspire to migrate to English speaking countries.
There is no
minimum passing marks for the test. However each university confirms their
required score for the test.
2. The IELTS is used for determining eligibility for admission and scholarship.
3. You will be assessed for your English language skills at listening, reading and writing.
4. The total time for taking the test is around four and a half hours including the time for check in.
5. A break of 10 minutes will be provided to students after they complete the Reading and Listening Sections of IELTS.
IELTS examination is divided into the four segments:
Listening consists of 40 questions divided among four sections. The total duration for all the sections together is 30 minutes and an additional 10 minutes are given for the test taker to transfer his answers to the answer sheet.
The reading section is comprised of 40 questions which are set around three passages. The section has to be completed within 60 minutes and aims at evaluating the reading and comprehension of reading matter in many different areas. The section has passages from many different genres of reading from both non-fiction and fiction.
writing section consists of two tasks:
Task 1: Involves interpretation of a diagram for the academic test and the other involves writing a letter to an imaginary person for the general test. The letter should contain 150 words approximately and should be completed within 20 minutes.
Task 2: Consists of writing a 250 word essay on a given topic which should be completed within 40 minutes.
This section is held as a personal interview and is of 11- 15 minutes in duration. The test is not held on the actual day of IELTS but either a day before or after. The segment consists of three parts classified as: personal, long talk and discussion. The test is interactive in nature and you will be talking to an examiner. The personal section consists of the interviewer introducing himself and asking you a few questions about yourself. The talk involves speaking for any duration on a given topic. Interactive talk is held between the you(examinee) and examiner regarding the topic you have spoken about.
Listening, 4 Sections, 40 items, 30 Minutes
General Training Reading, 3 Sections, 40 items, 60 Minutes
Academic Reading, 3 Sections, 40 items, 60 Minutes
General Training Writing, 2 tasks (150 and 250 words), 60 Minutes
Academic Writing, 2 Tasks (150 and 250 words), 60 Minutes
Speaking : 11 to 15 Minutes
The IELTS score is reported as a band ranging from 0 to 9. You will be assigned a score from 1 to 9 for each section individually and the average of all segments will be considered as your overall score. Generally band 9 indicates expert in the segment and band 1 is considered as having low comfort level with the segment and all other bands falling in between.
1. VITO provides
dedicated IELTS coaching with expert tutors who take a
personalized interest in your IELTS preparation
3. VITO provides IELTS practice test with a simulation of the actual test atmosphere during IELTS training sessions to make you feel familiar with the test pattern.
4. You are provided with a personalized and detailed evaluation of your test results and suggest strategies for scoring higher in IELTS exam.